Affordance Studio is a team leveraging creative game design to redefine what play means for museums, events, classrooms, businesses and more.
As such, Affordance Studio is looking for an intermediate (or senior) tools programmer with an interest and experience in tools programming to support the development of video games. The person we’re looking for will be wholly responsible for development of these tools: maintaining the codebase, developing the code architecture, its documentation, etc.
Affordance Studio is known for its serious games developed for web platforms. However, the project for which we are recruiting is much closer to a mass-market entertainment game.
Titled Windigo, the project is a narrative exploration game set in the 17th century. The player alternates between two protagonists ; a young Innu boy and a young french girl. Both are stranded and try to survive the wild canadian lands. It is a game best described as historical, narrative and contemplative.
Windigo is the right opportunity for you if you want to :
● Lead the technical side of the development of tools to support video games production;
● Work closely with the technical team and participate in technical discussions;
● Have a major impact on the development of several video games productions that will be making use of the tools developed;
The person we’re looking for will become the lead tools programmer on the project and will work closely with the technical directors working on the different video games project making use of the tools developed. The tools programmer will have to be highly autonomous and be able to provide solutions to the various technical challenges that will appear during production.
● Develop C++ softwares by applying object-oriented development principles;
● Debug and optimize the code at both low and high level to ensure performance and technical quality;
● Write quality code that is both performant and well documented;
● Work effectively with other members of the programming team as well as members of the development team;
● Plan effectively their work and provide realistic updates on progress;
● Contribute positively to the achievement of the objectives of the project and the team;
● Analyze and estimate the time and the impact of the proposed functions.
Experience and qualifications:
● Minimum 3 years of experience as tools programmer, generalist programmer or an equivalent title;
● Fluency in French (written and spoken);
● Fluency in English, an asset.
● Strong skills in Object Oriented Programming;
● Experience in tools programming;
● Good understanding of the processes and challenges of game development, an asset;
● Experience with the Unreal Engine game engine, an asset;
We are offering:
● a dynamic work environment with amazing professional opportunities for you to grow your career;
● flexible working hours and a 4 days/a week schedule;
● a unique work environment;
● collective insurance;
● a living space where you can enjoy life (shared with other independent video game studios where we regularly organize fun activities (i.e. pizza nights, game nights, etc.).
****To fulfill and exceed its business objectives, Affordance relies on the best team, which means offering a diverse workplace to all employees where everyone see their skills and differences respected and encouraged. To promote diversity is to treat employees fairly and equitably to create a work environment which represents the communities we’re working with. Diversity is encompassed in every aspect that can be used to distinguish between groups or people. It includes respect and appreciation of differences of, among other things, ethnicity, gender, age, nationality, physical or mental conditions, sexual orientation, education and religion. Each one of us brings a different perspective on our work environment; diversity and inclusion represent strengths from which we benefit greatly when we respect and encourage our differences. ****